First weekend of the No-Food-Purchased-In-Plastic Experiment

I’ve gone six days of my no-food-purchased-in-plastic experiment and I survived the weekend quite well, thanks in part to the fact that my fridge was well stocked when I started the experiment … and I ate a couple of meals at friend’s homes. The only money I spent on food this weekend was to support my whole-milk-latte habit … neither organic nor particularly healthy … but always in a reusable mug.

I’m beginning to quite like that expensive mug I purchased a few days ago.

I did run into a plastic dilemma at a party Saturday night. There was tons of amazing home made food served on paper plates and only plastic forks available for use. I thought I had put a fork into my purse earlier in the day, but when I went to look for it, it was no where to be found. So I stuck to the finger food … actually I pretended everything was finger food and nobody seemed to care.

The week ahead should be interesting because I am almost out of a few ingredients that I like to have on hand that I have never seen sold in non-plastic containers. I’ll let you know how that goes.


And before I go, I’d like to tell you about something very cool that is happening in my kitchen as I type.

Earlier today I decided I would make hummus dip from scratch and started soaking the garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) in water in a large pot. The beans had been soaking several hours when I returned home from running an errand. I sat down at my desk to write this post and kept hearing a popping sound coming from the kitchen. Puzzled, I went to investigate and sure enough it was the garbanzo beans popping away as they absorbed the water. They have swelled up so much that the pot is almost too small. Some of the beans have even started to sprout and they taste delicious … like fresh pea sprouts.

Right now the thought of cooking those popping beauties and turning them into hummus seems downright cruel. I think I’ll be having sprouted garbanzos for breakfast.